Thursday 17 June 2021

We're late, we're late ... but ...

Firstly, I have to apologize to Marcelle who took time to do a great charcoal portrait sketch - and I believe she is continuing over this in acrylics - and it got obliterated from my last column by my haste and incompetence. There was a white patch where it should have been... but you don't want to know the tekkie details, I'm sure. Apologies Marcelle.




























However, other folk have been sending in late pix (don't artists have calendars to mark deadline dates?!?) so it is a moment for put together an apology, and include a few more works.




Anne Puren sent in a a delicate and attractive rendition of an old photograph of her maternal grandmother (just above) - and she really missed the autumn deadline but sent in another lovely painting of vines: see further below.























Maureen had already submitted drawings by deadline date but took the bull by the horns (I'm guessing she didn't sit still so did you do it from a cellphone photo Maureen?) and decided to tackle a sweet young lady in watercolour and did a pretty good job.

Despite what our favorite local watercolour artist Hazel Soan says, watercolours are not easy as they have 'a mind of their own'.  It is a brave artist that takes out his watercolours for a portrait, so well done Maureen.

As I joked previously, I also attempted a watercolour selfie - not finished but included to amuse you. Unfortunately I appear more like Margaret Thatcher than me - not a look I'm happy to cultivate. I remember another Cape Town portrait artist telling me try not to do open mouthed smiles and 'never do teeth' as you always get them wrong so taking her advice I glossed over them (but the space is too white, I know).




BUT, I shall try again with another portrait - after all non permanent watercolours can be washed almost completely away leaving your paper ready for another work.











And so to late arrivals.
























Anne Puren sent in this lovely vine, above, where the tints of autumn are starting to touch the leaves. There was no mention of the medium but it is a very competent work.















Lastly, a lonely red apple from Maugie.  Thank you everyone.

I'll leave you with some beautiful portraits painted by Hazel Soan to inspire you all. 

Do note that Hazel does live demos on Zoom from time to time. 

She did a fabulous one (free of charge! nogal!) yesterday on painting wild animals in Africa. Check out information on her website. www.allsoanup.com or follow her on her own Instagram pages which are not only a way to hear about demos but are full of really useful info.












No comments:

Post a Comment